Friday, April 09, 2010

Bradbury on Screen

If you're looking for a new study guide to Fahrenheit 451, you might want to consider this lively new effort from 60secondrecap.com. In ten bitesize video chunks, you will receive an insight into Montag's world. According to the website:

"60second Recap™ wants to make the great works of literature accessible, relevant, and, frankly, irresistible to today’s teens. Through 60second Recap™ video albums, we seek to help teens engage with the best books out there ... not just to help them get better grades, but to help them build better lives."

Judging by the first video, the creators are well aware that 60 Second Recap potentially exemplifies the very things that Fahrenheit 451 rails against!



Another Bradbury-inspired animation has appeared on YouTube. This one is based on "I Sing the Body Electric!" and the 1980s TV movie adaptation The Electric Grandmother. Animated by Eric Kilkenny, this is I Wonder Where My Grandmother Is:



2 comments:

Jeremy said...

Thanks for the heads-up on 60secondrecap.com -- great resource! And you're right, the creators do a good job of lampooning their own medium. Rather clever. And, beyond that, I found the vids to be quite on-point. I wonder if Mr. Bradbury has seen them?

Phil said...

Hi Jeremy. I doubt that Bradbury has seen these, as he doesn't use the web (or any kind of computer).

For what they are, I think the 60secondrecap videos are quite good. I look forward to seeing more.